Sunday, September 23, 2012

Twitter Welcome v 2.0

Hello!

The origin of the twitter welcome can be traced to Will Wheaton - aka Dr Sheldon Cooper's nemesis - who thought he should elaborate what his twitter feed was all about in more than the 140 characters allowed by the site. I think it's a good idea. It was recently brought to my attention by Mr C who runs sidepodcast, a Formula 1 site I guest write for periodically, that I needed to update my twitter welcome; he clicked through from my profile and thought my blog had been mothballed. It was agreed that I should update my twitter welcome twice a year to keep it current with the things happening in my life/on my twitter feed. So without further ado, allow me to enlighten you on a few things about my twitter feed:

1) I'm rather fond of fast cars, and it shows. If you don't follow Formula 1 and I tweet something that includes "Brunoooo" on a Sunday, feel free to disregard it, because I'm tweeting about the race. 

2) I'm nerdy and I know it. I sometimes get overexcited about science news and share the links. If you don't understand the article, feel free to ask me about it (or contact the author of the article).

3) I love to have dialogue with other users on twitter. Twitter was best before it got huge and everyone used it as a personal marketing tool; I want to get back to the days of chatting with people I'd never met but shared interests with. If you like something I tweet and want to talk about it, don't be shy.

4) I have divergent interests. Part of being a writer is having homework every night - the theory goes that if I immerse myself only in one subject, my characters are dull and one-dimensional. Thus, you may find me tweeting about botany, astronomy, racing (cars, that is, not horses or camels), fiction, photos, news, or simply life observations. 

5) I try to practice humourology. That is, I try to find the funny side of every situation. Now, it's not always possible, but I do try and hide a giggle in every 140-character contribution to cyberspace.

6) My username is not a reference to Mixed Martial Arts. (As an aside, I have been meaning to get into MMA, but haven't found a gym that offers it.) In Southern Africa - where I was born and raised - "Mama" is a title given to female herbalists (and older women, but I'm not using it in that context); Alexander McCall Smith abbreviates it to "Mma" in his fiction. Because I majored in botany and human biology, my uni friends got used to being given herbal tea to cure what ailed them when visiting me. The twitter handle is a reference to my African herbal heritage.

7) (And this is possibly the most important) I have occasional bouts of rather colourful language. I apologise for this. Still, I assume a minimum age on my blog and twitter feed (if you're under 18 and are wondering whether you should be here, ask your parents if they're okay with my content. I don't want to get in trouble with them), so I run under the assumption that we're all grown-ups and can handle it.

Thank you for following me, and I hope we'll have fun together!

Brij x

No comments:

Post a Comment